Monday, December 15, 2008

Random photo of the day!


The view across Exchange St. from inside our winter window. We've had several people come in and ask both where we bought our snowflakes and also if they can buy them from us, which is only really funny because these were all about our staff, scissors, an x-acto knife, craft paper and a whole lot of time and achy wrists. But it's still nice to hear, and the paper snowflakes are certainly more fun than the real wintry mix we've had on the other side of that window!
(Also, am I the only one bothered by the fact that the adjectival form of "winter" is "wintry," not "wintery?" Personally, I'm rather fond of that snubbed e! But maybe that's a topic for another post entirely...)

The whole things-dangling-from-fishing-line theme seems to be a pretty common one on Exchange St. this year - I've seen paper snowflakes, foamcore snowflakes, cotton balls, jingle bells, ribbons, various assorted ornaments... I suppose it's just a reaction to the economy, as fishing line and little tchochkes are pretty darn cheap, but I really like the unintentional unity it creates in the shopfronts as you meander down the street.


2 comments:

Ann Kingman said...

Those are great snowflakes, and I truly enjoy getting a glimpse out of your store window. I love Portland this time of year, but haven't gotten up there yet. Thanks for the 30-second mental vacation.

I'm enjoying your blog and have subscribed. Thanks!

Anne said...

Nice Photo! I hadn't noticed the fishing line unity, but neither have I spent much time in the Old Port outside of the store. I'll keep an eye out next lunch break.