Saturday, February 14, 2009

Elegance of the Hedgehog

Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery
Translated by Allison Anderson
325pp. paper $15.00


This book has been a bestseller in France and Lola from our Falmouth store is fast making it a best seller right here.
Read her review below:


The book I'm most excited about right now is "The Elegance of the Hedgehog," by Muriel Barbury. (It's published by Europa Editions, and they have never bored me. Not once.) "Hedgehog" is a wonderful book -- one person might read an engaging story of an unlikely friendship between the concierge of a tres chic Parisian condo building and a 12 year old girl. Another person will realize belatedly that s/he thinks something about philosophy, unthought before the book. Another person will internalize it all and try to figure out whether she or he is a hedgehog or a fox. (Many Tolstoy references, subtle, and not so, in this book. The author doesn't give you a trail, but I will: Archilochus, Tolstoy, Berlin. I forced my book group to read this. To a person, they said thank you. And I was really grateful to have friends to discuss it with. This was my absolute favorite fiction of 2008.

No comments: